18 January 2008

to begin

I'm not exactly sure how I became to be so in love with traveling, but I guess it probably could come from the fact that I just like to be out there. For the most part I enjoy meeting new people and discovering new things, and in a way that's what traveling is all about. But first let me define traveling.

Traveling, for me (and it's different for everyone), is an experience. Traveling requires letting go of your comfort zone and leaping off into the unknown. It's full immersion of yourself into the culture and people of a foreign place. Not to say that one week, planned tours aren't all well and good, but they're not for me. I enjoy walking around as an anonymously face in the crowd. I had a boyfriend once who wondered why bother studying a foreign language? Everyone's going to learn English anyway right? Plus you can go on those tours were everyone speaks English. English, or rather Americanism, is a state of mind. And to truly experience a culture, you have to become part of it.

This blog is intended to write about the things I learn through my education, both formal and informal. From superficial pop culture items to matters of human behavior, I hope you, the reader, enjoys the discourse they hopefully will provoke.


~A Brief Profile~
Name: Sarah
Employment: Purdue University (senior)
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Places Traveled: Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice) ; Japan (Tokyo, Hamamatsu, Kosai); United States of America (Virginia, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Florida, West Virginia, Michigan, Illinois, New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania)
Blog Title: In high school, I studied abroad in Japan, and my teacher began to call me 'Dish-chan' since 'sara' literally means plate in Japanese and at my homestay I would get confused if they were calling me or needed plates on the table at dinner. Therefor, I am the 'Traveling Dish.'

No comments: