31 January 2008

let it snow

This entire week has just been horrible. I can't seem to make it to my first classes on time (not for lack of trying). So many papers and other things piled up and I probably made terrible drafts of all of them - but they were done which was more than I could probably hope for. Although God has blessed me with a lot of small victories this week as well, so that's nice. But tonight I relaxed with some of my fellow RAs and helped make scrap book pages for our SR who's officially leaving Sunday (we'll miss her SO much!). Except it's supposed to snow ten to twelve inches tonight. Oh goodness! And being on duty subjects me to shoveling detail. Hurrah. hahaha

One of the major things this week is I found out my best friend is not staying in Japan next year. I know it probably wouldn't have significantly altered my choice for what to do after graduation this May, but it makes me think about what I'm going to do. Both of my good friends, Jon and Lauren, are struggling with the teaching jobs. And not to group myself with them, I wonder if I'll struggle the same way. I feel confident I know what I'm getting myself into, but I always feel that way until I get in and realize I'm in far over my head.

Yet, here is the entire reason I named this blog "Traveling Dish" - I plan on traveling. Jon noted on Lauren's facebook that he felt windows were closing the longer he waited to, I suppose get a real job. And maybe I'll feel that way too, but as it stands my plans are to travel the world. Simple sounding and so . . . cliche. I'm sure people laugh and say, "You say that now." But I do. I fully intend on moving to Japan and teach for two years, and then move to Italy and give tours or teach English there as well, especially if I get my CELT certification. I'd love to move to somewhere in the U.K. - but you can't be an English teacher in England as easily as Italy or Japan. Anyway, Jon may say that's unrealistic - heck a lot of people might - but I want to see things before I settle down - if I ever do.

I mean how much of ourselves do we sacrifice for the security of job? I don't plan to do that, living cheaply isn't fun - but neither is compromising yourself.

No comments: